GODFREY – Lewis and Clark Community College and The Bridge student newspaper hosted the Illinois Community College Journalism Association’s 2017 Conference, during which the newspaper staff netted 18 awards.
“Bridge staffers are encouraged to think outside the box and explore visual and digital approaches to publishing news,” Bridge Adviser Louise Jett said. “The ICCJA judges recognized their efforts accordingly. I could not be more proud. It is an honor to work with such talented students.”
Approximately 90 students from 12 schools across the state participated in the two-day event April 6-7, in the Trimpe Building on L&C’s Godfrey Campus. The conference featured keynote addresses by Todd Smith, a former reporter and current author who was shot by Charles Lee “Cookie” Thornton while covering the Kirkwood City Council Feb. 7, 2008, and Stephen Potter, an actor, host and producer for KWMU-FM.
Students attended workshops featuring local journalism professionals like The Telegraph’s Nathan Grimm, Belleville News-Democrat’s Elizabeth Donald, The Post-Dispatch’s Lisa Eisenhauer and Ashley Lisenby, and Advantage News’ Fred Pollard and Eric McRoy. L&C Photographer Paige Allen taught a workshop on sports photography and Coordinator of Architectural Technology and CAD/Drafting Luke Jumper gave virtual reality demonstrations.
The event culminated with an awards dinner, during which The Bridge staff members were honored for their work:
- 1st Place, Front Page Design - Karen Hancock
- 1st Place, Headline - Karen Hancock
- 1st Place, Headline - Darick Earney
- 1st Place, Page Design - Karen Hancock
- 1st Place, Sports News - Alex Meissner
- 1st Place, Staff Editorial - Helen Paige Jarden
- 1st Place, Editorial Cartoon - Shelby Wallace
- 1st Place, Graphics - Shelby Clayton
- 1st Place, Advertising - Staff
- 2nd Place, General Excellence - Staff
- 2nd Place, Advertising - Staff
- 2nd Place, News Column - Helen Paige Jarden
- 2nd Place, News Story - Helen Paige Jarden
- 2nd Place, Staff Editorial - Krystie Morrison
- 3rd Place, Graphics - Shelby Clayton
- 4th Place, Page Design - Karen Hancock
- 4th Place, Staff Editorial - Callie Logan
- Honorable Mention, News Photo - Krystie Morrison
The ICCJA brings together student newspaper advisers and staffs from across Illinois to share information and knowledge about the state and direction of student journalism. It includes an intensive schedule of workshops for student development and an opportunity for students to compete in division and open categories on topics ranging from writing to photography and graphic design and layout.
“Students and newspaper advisers learned a great deal thanks to the solid list of speakers at sessions at one of the loveliest campuses in the Midwest,” said ICCJA Executive Director Joe Gisondi, of Eastern Illinois University’s Journalism program. “I look forward to bringing the workshop back here in the future.”