Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusive Excellence
Formerly L&C's Minority Affairs office, the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusive Excellence seeks to serve traditionally under-represented groups with social and academic distinction and encourage the appreciation of the diverse perspectives, experiences and cultures that comprise the college's student, faculty, staff and community population.
In keeping with the Minority Affairs legacy, we continue to emphasize the historic, current and future roles of African-American culture in the world, but also reflect the way in which Latino, Asian/Pacific Islander, Caribbean and Native American cultures overlap and complement each other.
The programs, exhibits, displays, publications, literature and activities of Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusive Excellence instill and reinforce concepts such as respect, acceptance, understanding, social and cultural competency, responsibility, civility, meaningful relationships and the appreciation of the many individuals, cultures and communities that comprise our campus community.
Our mission is to encourage and guide individuals of every race, gender and unique background through their higher education experience and provide a place where students can see themselves reflected, embraced and valued.
The Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusive Excellence gives students the opportunity learn from meaningful cultural programs that help them gain relevant experience and understanding of the world around them. This is accomplished through campus programs and workshops that will engage them on a critical level.
- Provide resources and programs that promote positive identity-based development for all students.
- Provide educational, social programs and physical space for students and employees of L&C.
- Continue and expand collaboration with academic departments, student affairs departments and student organizations to provide comprehensive instruction/programming about people of color.
- Provide progressive social justice programming and training in order to create greater appreciation of human diversity.
- Systematically assess and continuously improve the delivery of essential, cost effective, educational programs and support services.
- Sponsor campus organizations, programs, meetings and events that encourage the academic success, cultural awareness and advocacy of the members of our diverse campus community, including various identity-based student organizations, social gatherings, academic support services and programs for minority and international students, leadership development opportunities, and collaboration with secondary schools and community organizations.
- Facilitate dialogue around issues of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, socioeconomics and other themes in collaboration with other college entities, such as Student Activities and the Diversity Council.