• Perkins Student Support Project

    The Perkins Student Support Project is available by appointment only. To schedule an appointment, students must email Jane Fleming or Alice Bunjan with their name, student ID#, phone number, and the best time to call them between 8:15 a.m. to 4:15 p.m., Monday - Thursday and 8:15 a.m. to noon on Friday. We will respond to emails received outside of business hours or during campus closures beginning the next business day.

    The Perkins Student Support Project provides services designed to help students in career programs successfully complete an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree, Certificate of Proficiency (CP), and/or Certificate of Completion (CC) in their chosen career field, so they may enter the workplace in that field after program completion or transition to advanced training in that career field at a four-year institution.


    Students who have officially declared a career program major (AAS, CP, and/or CC programs) and have a high school diploma, completed a GED, or are currently a documented student enrolled in the Adult Education Department’s ICAPS program, may be eligible for direct services from the Perkins Student Support Project.  Eligibility is determined by the Perkins Project Manager (Caldwell 4333, (618) 468-4020); the Manager is also the provider of these services.  Direct services may be the loan of required, career-specific textbooks or the provision of some required, career-specific supplies/materials; the student’s major determines which service is provided.  

    Career Program students with one (or more) of the following traits may be eligible for the loan of required career-specific textbooks or the provision of some required career-specific supplies/materials:

    1. Economically Disadvantaged:  receiving financial aid based on need (Pell Grant, MAP Grant, SEOG, WIOA, and/or Public Assistance such as a medical card or LINK—must be in the student’s name and documentation presented)
    2. Single Parent:  have at least partial custody of a child/children; single pregnant women are included in this trait
    3. Nontraditional:  a gender-based trait; someone who is in a career program in which 25% or less of his/her gender is employed in that career field
    4. Out-of-Workforce Individuals:  someone who has never worked outside the home, taking care of the family and relying on a spouse/partner for all income OR someone who is unemployed or underemployed and cannot obtain gainful or upgraded employment due to the lack of or diminished skills and training
    5. A Youth, 21 years old or younger, who is in or has aged out of the Foster Care System
    6. A Youth, 21 years old or younger, in a Military family with a parent on active duty
    7. A Homeless Individual:  someone without a regular, fixed, and adequate nighttime residence 

    The Perkins Student Support Project also provides eligible students with the Perkins & Transfer Transition and Recruitment Coordinator (Caldwell 4327, (618) 468-2730).  The Coordinator helps students find and access other College and community-based resources to help meet school and life needs.  Career program students wishing to borrow textbooks or receive supplies/materials, are required to meet with the Coordinator prior to those services being provided.


    Mentoring for Nontraditional students (a gender-based classification, see above) may be established upon request; students make such requests to the Perkins Project Manager.  All efforts will be made to fulfill such requests.


    The Perkins Student Support Project does not provide funds or monetary loans to students for, tuition, fees, transportation expenses, child care, background check fees, physicals and vaccination costs, program testing fees (during the program or after completion for licensure/certifications), general education texts or supplies, or reimbursement for any purchases made by a student (this list is not exhaustive).

    Other Services

    The College provides services for:

    • Disabled students (learning, physical, emotional, developmental, or any other type of disability) may seek accommodations from the Student Development and Counseling office in Caldwell 2320.
    • English Language Learner students may enroll in free English as a Second Language classes.  For more information, contact the Adult Education Department in Caldwell 2337.
    • All students may take advantage of the Career Resource Center (Caldwell 4337 and the N.O. Nelson Center) when seeking employment opportunities, needing assistance with resume writing, interviewing skills, and/or career exploration.
    • All students needing academic assistance may use the services of the Student Success Center.