• Service Animal Guidelines

    Students who are using service animals on campus on a regular basis are strongly encouraged to register with the Office of Student Development and Counseling. There may be additional accommodations that can be provided to support a student’s disability at Lewis and Clark Community College.

    • The handler will be in control of the service animal at all times.
    • The animal must be on a leash at all times unless the service animal user is unable to use a leash, using the leash would harm the handler, or if the animal must perform a task without the use of a leash.
    • Dogs must wear a vaccination tag. The college reserves the right to ask for proof of current vaccination.
    • The college reserves the right to ask about the disability-related service(s) the animal is trained to provide.
    • The college reserves the right to ask that the animal be removed if it becomes disruptive or displays threatening behavior toward others. Each situation will be considered individually.
    • The college may prohibit the use of service animals in certain locations if it poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others or where service animals may be in danger. Such locations may include, but are not limited to, metal/machine shops, welding rooms, and medical clinical sites. Exceptions to restricted areas may be granted on a case-by-case basis.
    • The college is not responsible for the care or supervision of a service animal.
    • The service animal must be housebroken.
    • In a provision of ADA, a miniature horse may qualify as a service animal if the miniature horse has been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability. Specific assessment factors will be considered in determining whether reasonable modifications in policies, practices, or procedures can be made to allow a miniature horse into a specific facility.
    • Consideration of others must be taken into account when providing maintenance and hygiene of service animals.

    Conflicting Disabilities

    It is possible for a person, who does not use a service animal, to have a disability that precipitates an allergic reaction to animals. Persons who wish to make an asthmatic/allergic/medical complaint about the animal should contact the Office of Student Development and Counseling. The person making the complaint must show medical documentation to support that complaint. Action will be taken to consider the needs of both the complainant and the handler of the service animal in order to resolve the problem as efficiently and expeditiously as possible.